Pick Topic
Review Topic
List Experts
Examine Expert
Save Expert
  Site Guide ··   
Coronary Artery Disease: HELP
Articles by Elie Fahed
Based on 1 article published since 2010
(Why 1 article?)
||||

Between 2010 and 2020, Elie Fahed wrote the following article about Coronary Artery Disease.
 
+ Citations + Abstracts
1 Article Antithrombotic Medication Use and Misuse Among Patients with Intracranial Hemorrhage: A 16-Year, Lebanese, Single-Center Experience. 2016

Fahed, Elie / Ghauche, Jessica / Rahme, Ralph / Okais, Nabil / Samaha, Elie / Nohra, Georges / Rizk, Tony / Maarrawi, Joseph / Menassa-Moussa, Lina / Moussa, Ronald. ·Department of Neurosurgery, Hôtel-Dieu de France, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon. · Department of Radiology, Hôtel-Dieu de France, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon. · Department of Neurosciences, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine - Inova Campus, Falls Church, Virginia, USA. · Department of Neurosurgery, Hôtel-Dieu de France, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon. Electronic address: ronald_moussa@hotmail.com. ·World Neurosurg · Pubmed #27521729.

ABSTRACT: OBJECTIVE/BACKGROUND: The use of antithrombotic medication (ATM) frequently is reported in patients with intracranial hemorrhage (ICH) and is associated with increased mortality. Unfortunately, ATMs sometimes are prescribed and/or used inappropriately. We sought to determine the rate of ATM misprescription/misuse among patients with ICH in a single-center retrospective study. METHODS: All patients admitted with ATM-related ICH in 1998-2014 were included. Charts were reviewed and demographic, clinical, and radiologic variables were recorded. The type of ATM, dose, and duration of treatment were analyzed critically. The adequacy of ATM prescription/use was assessed in light of the recommendations and guidelines of the American Heart Association, American Stroke Association, and French National Authority for Health, in effect at the time of admission. RESULTS: A total of 106 patients with mean age 68 years were identified. Aspirin (53.8%) was the most commonly used drug, followed by oral anticoagulants (31.1%) and clopidogrel (22.6%). In only 80 patients (75.5%), the use of ATM was in line with contemporary guidelines. In the remaining 26 (24.5%), the use of ATMs was inappropriate, including bad drug combination, wrong dose, poor indication, wrong drug class, and/or incorrect treatment duration. CONCLUSIONS: In this Lebanese cohort of patients with ICH, the 24.5% rate of ATM misprescription and/or misuse is highly alarming and the origin of this problem is likely multifactorial. Immediate measures should be undertaken, and efforts should be focused on regaining tight control of ATM prescription and fulfillment, ensuring good patient education, and offering more vigilant oversight on physician licensure.