Pick Topic
Review Topic
List Experts
Examine Expert
Save Expert
  Site Guide ··   
Picking Experts HELP

When Expertscape identifies an expert who is affiliated with a medical school or university, it is usually simple to tell whether the expert is a physician who takes care of patients.

On the "Contact Information" page for the expert, examine the addresses listed. You will see that persons affiliated with a medical school normally belong to one or more departments within the school.

As shown below, some departments have mostly physicians. Other departments have mostly non-clinical scientists. You can use the following table to help identify clinical experts.

Clinical Departments Procedural Departments Non-Clinical Departments
Physicians who take care of patients Physicians without continuing patient contact Scientists, no patient care
  • Dermatology
  • Family Practice
  • Genetics
  • Medicine
  • Medicine sub-departments:
    • Cardiology
    • Endocrinology
    • Gastroenterology
    • General internal medicine
    • Nephrology
    • Pulmonology
    • Rheumatology
    • etc.
  • Neurology
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Oncology
  • Ophthalmology
  • Pediatrics
  • Psychiatry
  • Surgery (all types)
  • Anesthesiology
  • Emergency Medicine
  • Nuclear Medicine
  • Pathology
  • Radiology
  • Anatomy
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Biostatistics
  • Chemistry
  • Engineering (any type)
  • Epidemiology
  • History of Medicine
  • Microbiology
  • Nursing (sort of...)
  • Pharmacology
  • Physics
  • Physiology
  • Public Health

Remember, non-clinical experts in a given field may be able to refer you to a clinical expert in the same field.